Monday, August 30, 2010

Something's Eating Me

My journey to healthy living did not  happen overnight and or turn on one day like a light bulb!! I wish I could say that I woke up one morning and said you know what, I'm tired and I'm going to just eat and live right. I didn't. It was over time that I realized that something literally was eating me...and I used my eating/ lack there of to cope with it.

After failing repeatedly with this thing. I analyzed every failure and set back..after all, I am a therapist, so I did some introspection. I've been really doing some serious self-discovery over the past couple of years. From my self discovery time, I noticed a pattern from re-reading my journal entries, poems, songs, etc. I found there was a specific time that I gained weight the most....in the winter. I found that during the  winter I was most likely to eat all the stuff I had worked so hard not to eat throughout the year. I was most likely to get involved in unhealthy romantic relationships, spend unnecessary money, etc. Needless to say I was most unhappy....and so i filled it with something unhealthy thinking that it would make me happy.

There's a term for this....and a lot of women and people overall do it. Its called emotional eating. When our emotions are stressful or when we're going through, we sometimes eat or don't eat which adversely affects us.  We eat cause food is good...so good at times and it helps us to cope with what is eating us. I'll be honest with you, there are certain foods for me (cakes and pies:), that i feel like i'm having an orgasm (ooh the coconut cream pie shake from Sonic! My God!!)...its just that good to me (sorry, but I'm being honest..u can bleep out that part lol). So I've been trying to do a better job at realizing when I'm emotionally just out of control...cuz that's when I go hard for sweets and whatever I can put my hands on. I haven't arrived yet, and am still working on it.  But self- awareness is key and learning how you cope with stuff helps you to be able to change it.

So here's this week's challenge: If you can journal for a week do it:) if you can only do 3 days do it.... do what you can.  Just jot down your feelings and what you ate for the day. Thats it...and lets discuss the findings (post your comments)

2 comments:

  1. yea gurl im goin thru some things with my bf and his family's hardships. i thought that this would make me start eating more but actually ive started eating less. im not sure why, i thought emotionally i would embrace food more than anything. but if i do my challenge, can i jus post it on my blog? check out my blog and give me ur thoughts on my situation. it's entitled 'how much can you endure with the one you love?' please read it when u have tha time(stupiddopegalaxy.onsugar.com). i luv ur blog it's very spiritually & physically empowering for me to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. will do. Sensibly_ stupid...i say post the challenge on both. Sometimes when we go thru we with decrease or increase foods...either way its not healthy...when you decrease ur food intake..ur body goes into survival mode and it never knows when your going to eat again...so it hold on to everything that u do eat....

    ReplyDelete