Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Happy NEW Year---ThiS Year is gonna be different!

-Its a new year and a new day....at least that is the mantra and motto I've been hearing over and over gain since the beginning of 2011. This year,  I'mma lose weight, this year I'mma stay focused...etc. etc. ...then by the end of January beginning of February the newness of the year has worn off and we're back to doing the same ole same ole. Been there, done that. After years of repeating the same pattern, I finally learned something about myself. I can get easily overwhelmed with long term goals. Not only did I realize that about myself, but I also realized from working with  so many different people (I am a mental health therapist), that they do the same.

You see sometimes when the goal is for the year, when you get off track, some people just throw in the towel. They think, I did not keep my word for this year already, so its over, and they quit. I call it the all or nothing syndrome lol.  When I transitioned to healthy living, I started to set goals for the week and I found that worked better to break the goal down. As you accomplish that goal day to day, even week to week, in the process you are building your self-esteem (as you successfully complete tasks, your confidence builds). Also, breaking the goals into little pieces is a bit easier to obtain and easier to see the things that worked for you and the things that did not work (then you can modify for the next week).  You should try it:)

So that's one of the things that I learned about myself through my journey to healthy living. Now, that I've learned that, I'm actually applying the principle to my goal for this week, read the bible every day.....so far so good. I successfully completed last week:) and now I'm on for this week. let me do a brief break down of how I got there and then maybe you can take a goal break it down, re-evaluate, and then apply again until you get the proper fit that works for your life.

1st week of Jan
-1st couple of days, I found that reading when I get home doesn't work for me. I'm tired and I don't want too lol.
-3rd or 4th day of the week. I thought about reading in the morning before I leave the house. Good idea but doesn't work out when I'm rushing.....leads me right back to evening time reading the bible which I don't really like.
-5th or 6th day of week. Aha moment! Don't get out of the bed until I read the word and then go and do my workout. Working well thus far!

So what little goal will you set this week-remember consistently meeting your goal can create a habit:):
Here's a couple of simple ones to get the ball rolling...
Only Choose 1 for this week and let me know how it goes
 
This week
---I will take the stairs instead of the elevator
---I will eat 1 piece of fruit everyday
---I will walk for 30 mins 3x a week
---I will drink a bottle of water every day

you can add some suggestions too:)

No comments:

Post a Comment